I have to be honest, yesterday was a bad day for me. Instead of lightening the rules, the rules have become more restrictive. Our world is in chaos, nothing is consistent, and nothing is normal. There are as many changes and rules as there are people. I felt claustrophobic and trapped. I wanted to run but there was nowhere to run to. I forced myself out of my office and went outside. I looked up at the clouds, they still hung in the sky, and the sun shone just as bright as ever. I wandered around our yard deliberately taking note of everything around me.
- Smells are limited behind masks but flowers are still fragrant.
- Routines are disrupted and events canceled but birds build nests and eggs still hatch.
- Food items are rationed but gardens still grow.
- Business hours are shortened and confusing, but the sun still rises and sets.
- Gatherings of more than a handful of people are disallowed, but flocks of birds still fly by.
- Shaking hands and embracing is forbidden, but puppies still snuggle and lick your face.
- Wedding plans are postponed, but couples still fall in love.
- Surgeries are canceled, lives are put on hold, but women haven’t stopped giving birth.
- We are told not to sing, but the air is filled with bird songs.
- Borders are closed, but the wind crosses freely
- Restaurants closed, but people never stopped eating.
- Haircuts were canceled, but our hair never stopped growing.
My thoughts began to calm, YES, that was it! Nature testifies, even loudly proclaims, God hasn’t changed. He still reigns. Even though my world as I have known it may collapse around me, God is consistent and never changes. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 I will run to Him and find peace.
“For I am the LORD, I change not..” Malachi 3:6 KJV